RUP1 ultrasonic probe for the REVO® system
The RUP1 probe system makes automated thickness measurement an integral part of your CMM measurement procedure.
Ultrasonic thickness measurement on a 5-axis CMM platform
The RUP1 ultrasonic probe increases the multi-sensor capability of the REVO® system offering ultrasonic thickness inspection.
Unlike many other ultrasonic systems, RUP1 does not require the use of water tanks or coupling gel to enable a good transmission of the signal. Instead, it uses an innovative elastomer tip ball to provide excellent coupling between the probe and the material. As a result, the RUP1 probe eliminates the need for skilled operators to interpret oscilloscope screens and releases shop floor space occupied by the dedicated immersion tanks.
The use of ultrasonics for single-sided measurement of part thickness also delivers clear advantages over traditional tactile probing techniques for parts where access to internal features is challenging.
The RUP1 is fully integrated into MODUS™ metrology software (version 1.12) and UCCsuite (version 5.8).
Aircraft landing gear parts, power generation drive shafts, and hollow aerospace blades are only a few parts that will significantly benefit from using the RUP1 system.
RUP1 features and benefits
- RUP1 ultrasonic probe is fully compatible with the MRS2 change rack and is automatically interchangeable with all other probes available for the REVO system.
- The RUP1 probe uses a 20 MHz transducer and provides a thickness measurement range of 1 mm to 20 mm with an accuracy of better than 25 microns using touch points.
- The use of an innovative elastomer tip ball provides excellent coupling between the probe and the material, and eliminates the need for water tanks or coupling gel to enable a good transmission of the signal.
- Overcoming the need for skilled operators to interpret oscilloscope screens reduces costs.
- The RUP1 ultrasonic probe is fully integrated into MODUS and UCCsuite metrology software, including features such as:
- geometry and material calibration
- tip ball size monitoring and compensation
- automatic calculation of REVO head positions based on the back-wall angle for non-parallel surfaces
- tip life monitoring
- A standalone signal viewer is also available which provides experts with a graphical view of the measurements.
|Material thickness range
|1 mm to 20 mm on typical metal parts (aluminium, steels and titanium).
Not supported are: parts made from cast iron, CF, GF, glass and additive materials, and those with coatings.
|Thickness measurement accuracy
|• Better than 0.025 mm on parallel surfaces
• Better than 0.100 mm on wedge angles of up to 10°
|Elastomer bead swollen with an ethylene glycol and distilled water solution
|In use tip life
|1-5 shifts – dependent on environment
|Ready to use tip life
|7 days when stored in a rack with protective cap
|Tip shelf life
|12 months minimum
|Point measurement of near parallel surfaces and wedges up to 10°
|Fully automated to operate as part of a multi-sensor measurement system